German forces occupied Jersey during the 1940ís and has left a permanent reminder, the underground hospital. They built the hospital when Allied invasion seemed imminent in 1944. It was built by forced labour. Not far from the entrance is a plaque on a piece of bare rock face which reads; under these conditions men of many nations laboured to construct this hospital. Those who survived will never forget; those who did will never be forgotten.
Berlin ordered in October 1941 that the Channel Island were to be made into an impregnable fortress which would never be surrendered; it would protect the army from any attack from sea or air.
One excavation they did was the underground hospital, it was first planned to be a bomb and artillery store, but because of where it was situated it was never completed and unfinished tunnels were sealed off and central heating and air conditioning was installed, ready for receiving patients.
For the time it was built it was a work of genius, built on a slope so it would drain naturally and remain dry, labourers would work twelve hour shifts to complete the work there were many injuries but luckily few deaths.
Fortunately the invasion never happened and the forces surrendered peacefully on the 9th may 1945.
Since the 1960ís it has been restored and is now a museum to show people how it was in those days during the war and is open to the public.
There are said to many ghost wandering around here, from patient, to labourers, but most seen are those of soldiers