We are a small group of paranormal investigators.With a medium and parapsychologist.We have some unique venues that take us to places sought after by many other paranormal groups.We go where others fear to tread.
HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in


 Ghosts of the castle

Go down 
platinum investigator
platinum investigator

Posts : 4857
Join date : 2008-02-10
Age : 57
Location : Leicester

Ghosts of the castle Empty
PostSubject: Ghosts of the castle   Ghosts of the castle Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 pm

Haunted Location: Port Talbot – Margam Castle was built relatively recently as the family home of the Talbots. Although the ruins of a Cisterian Chapel are still very visible on the site. The Castle is one of many “mock” castles built in the gothic revival period. It was commissioned in 1830 by Christopher Rice Talbot and constructed over a 10 year period. The architect in charge of the design of the Castle and its estate was Thomas Hopper but Talbot took a keen interest in overseeing all of the construction and ensured that he added his own signature to the building encouraging the architect to borrow elements from Lacock Abbey in Wiltshire. This was the ancestral family home of the Talbots.

The Castle was also visited by one of his cousins, the famous photographer William Henry Fox. He featured the Castle as an image in some of his early photographic experiments. The Castle was lived in by The Talbot Family until it was eventually sold in 1941 to David Evans-Bevan.

It is documented that British and American troops were stationed in the Castle at some point around this period. David Evans-Bevan found the Castle far too big to live in and after attempts at selling it to any interested organisation failed, it fell into disrepair. It was eventually bought by the local authority and opened to the public in 1977. It was not until it then became damaged by a fire that serious restoration work began on the building. The programme of restoration of the Castle saw the revival of many important features. Today it is a Grade I listed building under the care of Port Talbot Council.

This is an extremely active and haunted location. When the Most Haunted Team visited here in July 2006 they picked up on the murderous and sinister activity inside the Castle and outside in the grounds.

In 1898 the Gamekeeper, Robert Scott, was murdered by a poacher and his ghost is seen on a regular basis haunting the castle corridors and gothic staircase. Unexplained noises are also heard almost daily. The sound of children singing can be heard upstairs. There is the shadow of a dark male figure seen moving around. Footsteps have been heard clearly walking along the flagstoned floor. Strangely a blacksmith has been seen inside the Castle and horses have been heard in the courtyard.

This has been a ghost hunters delight for almost 160 years. The activity is frequent and terrifying. This is a very haunted location and we feel that the activity is intense so be warned

There have been many reports of paranormal activity within the castle, many people have witnessed a little boy in the Library area called Theodore. The stairs are normally guarded by the spirit of a murdered gamekeeper, he is often quite menacing and likes to scare people

Noises, shadows, and footsteps are heard regulary in the Castle. A dark male figure, children singing, and a blacksmith has been seen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ghosts of the castle
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» Windmill Cafe on the Autobahn
» New page on main site - Memories

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
APPARITIONS ANONYMOUS INCORPORATED TEAM :: Locations outside Leicester :: haunted locations outside of Leicester :: MARGAM CASTLE-
Jump to: