Stanley Palace, formerly called Derby House, stands on or near the site previously occupied by the Dominican Friars (the 'Black Friars') in medieval times. It was built for Sir Peter Warburton, a Chester lawyer and MP for the City; it then passed as his daughter's dowry to the Stanley’s of Alderley
Dating from 1591 with a partial rebuild in 1935, this magnificent timber-framed building is now owned by Chester City Council and managed by the Friends of Stanley Palace who open it to the public when other uses allow. (Listed grade II).
There are several haunting stories related to Stanley Palace and it's reputed to be the most haunted place in Chester.