Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a small group of paranormal investigators.With a medium and parapsychologist.We have some unique venues that take us to places sought after by many other paranormal groups.We go where others fear to tread.
HomeSearchRegisterLog in


 History of Tutbury

Go down 
platinum investigator
platinum investigator

Posts : 4857
Join date : 2008-02-10
Age : 58
Location : Leicester

History of Tutbury Empty
PostSubject: History of Tutbury   History of Tutbury Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 12:30 am

Tutbury is a large village and civil parish of about 3,000 residents in the English county of Staffordshire.

It is surrounded by the agricultural countryside of both Staffordshire and Derbyshire. The site has been inhabited for over 3000 years, with Iron Age defensive ditches encircling the main defensive hill, upon which now stands ruins of a Norman castle. These ditches can be seen most clearly at The Park pale and at the top of the steep hills behind Park Lane.

Tutbury St Mary's church, 11th centuryThe name Tutbury probably derives from a Scandinavian settler and subsequent chief of the hill-fort, Totta, bury being a corruption of the anglo-saxon name for 'fortified place'. It is 5 miles north of Burton upon Trent and 20 miles south of the Peak District.

Until 2006, Tutbury Crystal, a manufacturer of high-quality cut glass products, was based in the village - however production transferred to Stoke-on-Trent as the existing factory was very old and was thought to be too small for the modern company's requirements. The old factory was demolished and apartments are being built on the site. A factory shop still operates in the village however. Despite this, the tourism trade survives thanks to the long and distinguished history of the Norman Priory Church and Medieval Castle where Mary, Queen of Scots was once imprisoned.

Tutbury Castle became the headquarters of Henry de Ferrers and was the centre of the wapentake of Appletree, which included Duffield Frith. With his wife Bertha, he endowed Tutbury Priory with two manors in about 1080. It would seem that Tutbury at that time was a dependency of the Norman abbey of St Pierre‑sur‑Dives.

The castle was destroyed by Prince Edward in 1264 after the rebellion of Robert de Ferrers, 6th Earl of Derby. In 1269, after a further rebellion the lands were given to Edmund Crouchback and heve remained part of the Duchy of Lancaster.

There are some fine Georgian and Regency buildings and the half-timbered Dog and Partridge Hotel. There are antique and craft shops in the village which often have been run by the same families for many years.
Back to top Go down
History of Tutbury
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
APPARITIONS ANONYMOUS INCORPORATED TEAM :: Locations outside Leicester :: haunted locations outside of Leicester :: TUTBURY CASTLE-
Jump to: